John Abraham’s upcoming film Parmanu: The Story of Pokhran has been through a lot of ups and downs. With a tussle between its producers JA Entertainment and KriArj Entertainment, the film which was supposed to hit the theatres in February, has been postponed to release in May.
There were reports KriArj had filed an FIR against John Abraham but JA Entertainment has refuted those reports and released a statement on the same. The statement reads, “This is with reference to the media reports stating that an FIR (First Information Report) has been registered at the Khar Police Station against Mr. John Abraham and his production house, JA Entertainment. We would like to categorically state that this statement is factually incorrect and misleading.”
The statement further says, “Also, there has been no case registered by Zee, as reported by some sections of the media. No such FIR has been registered and this fact can be verified from the said Police Station as well. We request everyone in the media fraternity to kindly refrain from putting out unverified information. We thank you for your continued support to us and our film, Parmanu-The Story of Pokhran.”
According to KriArj, they have accused JA Ent for various criminal offenses including cheating, breach of trust, fraud, misappropriation of funds and copyright infringement. They have even accused John and his company of duping them for crores of rupees invested towards the production of the film.
“Our payments have either been delayed or we have received wrong UTR number. Cheque payments have been stopped time and again. Delay in payments and non-payments have caused delays in the post-production work even after the film’s principal shoot was completed on time last year. Despite repeated follow-ups, the distribution plan for the film has not been shared and there has been no transparency in their dealings with third parties,” read the statement. They had even warned KriArj of legal action if they further jeopardised the film’s status or defamed the production house.
In response to the allegations made by John about the delays in payment, Prernaa Arora, head of KriArj Entertainment, told The Quint, “John Abraham pegged the budget of Parmanu at Rs 35 crore which was way too high for a film which had no stars except John Abraham, and even that (John’s stardom) is disputable. Anyway, of that 35 crore we’ve already paid John Rs 30 crore, Rs 3 crore will be paid on delivery. It’s just the remaining Rs 2 crore that we at KriArj have been pleading with Mr Abraham to forgo. But he is not willing to budge. Instead of understanding the economics of this project, he accuses me of not understanding the dynamics and economics of film production. Excuse me, I grew up in an environment of film production. I don’t need anyone questioning my capabilities as a producer.”
On Wednesday evening, John Abraham took to Twitter to share a poster of Parmanu. Sharing the poster, the actor wrote, “The ultimate countdown to the mission begins. A thrilling journey of patriotism & pride launches on 4th May 2018. #1MonthToParmanu but a shocker drops your way tomorrow itself! @DianaPenty #AbhishekSharma @bomanirani.”